- Beautiful kitchen or bathroom
- Prevent the spreading of germs
- Make your countertop easier to clean
- Increase your home’s value
Granite is a super tough stone that is formed from volcanic magma. A granite countertop is perfect for any home, because it provides the perfect balance between function and style. Granite is a beautiful natural stone that is highly resistant to wear and heat. Granite is available in a variety of colors, which will complement any kitchen or bathroom. Granite requires regular maintenance. Besides just cleaning, you’ll need to make sure the granite is sealed periodically.
Granite countertops should be cleaned regularly and sealed when it will no longer repel water
- Clean granite regularly with warm soapy water. Try not use too much detergent or dish soap, because a film can build up over time that will diminish the natural luster of the stone. Avoid harsh cleaning products such as bleach, kitchen degreasers, bathroom grout, tile, tub and glass cleaners. These products contain alkalies, acids, ammonia, vineger and other chemicals that can degrade the sealer making the granite susceptible to staining.
- Sealer should be reapplied when the stone becomes more porous. It is important to examine your granite at least once a year if not more frequently. You can test an area to see how well the water beads up on the surface of the stone. A drop or two of water should be round and not darken the surface of the stone. If they spread out or absorb into the stone (darker area) then the stone is ready to be resealed. It is always recommended to clean and thoroughly dry the surface prior to resealing. Sealers typically need to be reapplied every year.
Maintance can keep your granite counters looking new and beautiful. If you would like assistance with your granite tops, there are local qualified professionals available to help. Find a granite professional.
These home maintenance tips were provided courtesy of:
Baptista Tile & Stone Gallery located in Bend, Oregon.